What The What?


If you're not a fan of slightly hostile yet hopefully humorous rants, then I suggest you pass on today's entry...

I just became aware of the recent article by Rex Reed in the NY Observer and it got me PISSED. For those of you who are in the dark like I was, here's a summary: In a critique of Melissa McCarthy's new movie Identity Thief, Reed calls her "tractor-size" and a "female hippo", amongst other glorious names. (You can read the article in all its glory here). First of all, Mr. Reed can just suck it. Second of all, I find it incredibly horrific to even include that in a film review. Where is the professionalism?

If it's not this, then it's "Lena Dunham is too fat" or "Kelly Clarkson should lose some pounds". Lena, Kelly, Adele, you name it. If they're not stick thin, they're called out for it. As someone who has had their fair share of body issues/sizes/resentments, I can say first hand it sucks to be constantly bombarded by these kinds of articles. It sucks a lot actually because what does that make me then? It's comforting to know that someone who looks more like me, then say Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (is she human?) is successful in a world of vapid and shallow judgment. They are part of the small minority of successful women in Hollywood who don't look like the rest and yet they're chastised for it. And if we keep focusing on it, the cycle continues. Sometimes people look different. Get over it.

It helps that I don't make my living based on the size that's printed on the inside of my pants (and I've seen a nice range in my years). But from time to time, I just want to scream, "this is not how we all look ya'll!!". Yes, my legs might be the size of an entire Emma Roberts, but these legs also walked a marathon and a half to help raise money for breast cancer research. No, my hips would never fit into those negative zero-sized designer pants (which I swear are actually built for stilts), but these hips can also dance circles around your ass. So those women who are brave enough to put themselves on a screen or behind a microphone because they love what they do, just let them.

One of the best things I've noticed about London is how confident people are regardless of their appearance. Girls of all sizes strut down Oxford St. like they own the place. And that's exactly what these women are doing. Lena Dunham may not be a size two, but she's also writing, producing, and directing her own projects. Someone of her age, let alone her gender, in that industry- that's unheard of. Kelly Clarkson may not look like Rihanna, but she can do this. And Melissa McCarthy is G-DAMN SOOKIE ST. JAMES SO YOU BETTER RESPECT.

Bottom line is the fact that women look different shouldn't be news. That shouldn't be a topic in a news report, or the cover of a magazine, or the highlight of a film review. Let them do their thing without pointing out their arms or hip widths. You might not be a fan of their work, but shut up about their appearance. Focus on what they're doing, not what they're showing. And if anyone has something to say about it, then I will gladly kick them in the shins with my non-regulation size legs.

Comments

  1. AMAZING. I whole-heartedly agree.
    Have you seen the documentary Miss Representation? It's a must-see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Few Things That Are Currently Keeping Me From Jumping Into the Thames

Guten Tag!

London Fashion Week(end)